Monday, October 18, 2010

Tandoori Spiced Chicken with Tomato Jam and Herbed Yogurt


Tandoori Spiced Chicken with Tomato Jam and Herbed Yogurt


Ingredients:
2 Tbsp onion powder
2 Tbsp garlic powder
2 Tbsp ground ginger
2 Tbsp ground coriander
1 Tbsp ground cumin
1 Tbsp ground cayenne
1 Tbsp ground turmeric
1 Tbsp white pepper
1 Tbsp kosher salt
8 oz boneless skinless chicken
3 Tbsp olive oil
4 pita breads, warmed on grill
Tomato Jam, recipe follows
Herbed Yogurt, recipe follows

Directions:
Heat grill to medium-high. Combine all spices and the oil in a medium bowl to make a paste. Rub a thick layer of the spice paste all over the chicken and let marinate at least an hour. Grill for 3-4 minutes on each side or until slightly charred and just cooked through. Remove from the grill, let rest 5 minutes, and cut lengthwise into ½ inch thick slices. Serve open faced on pitas; the chicken slices, a few dollops of Tomato Jam, and a drizzle of Herbed Yogurt.
Due to the pouring down rain I did not use the grill. I marinated the meat and then broiled it at 500F on the second from the top shelf. I cooked the meat 4 minutes on each side, and then let rest for 5 minutes. The meat was flavorful and tender.
Tomato Jam:
1-14.5oz can of Chopped tomatoes, drained
1 serrano chile, chopped
2 Tbsp oil, plus more for grilling
Salt and freshly ground pepper
1 small sweet onion, chopped
3 Tbsp good balsamic vinegar

In a skillet on medium-high heat the oil.  Add chopped onion and lightly brown, add the chopped serrano pepper and cook for 1-2 minutes until soft. Add drained chopped tomatoes, balsamic vinegar; season with salt and pepper. Cook until thickened. Transfer to a bowl and let cool to room temperature before serving.
Herbed Yogurt:
1 cup Greek yogurt
¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
¼ cup chopped fresh mint leaves or 1 Tbsp dried
Salt and pepper

Place all ingredients in a food processor, I used my bullet; process until smooth. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Refrigerate if not using immediately.
Yum! The marinated chicken was so flavorful and tender, it would have been perfect on a bed of rice. Layering the chicken on the pita and adding the tomato jam with herbed yogurt made this recipe a burst of flavor in my mouth. The recipe called for pita bread, I would like to try Naan next time to make the dish a little more traditional. I feel this would be a better lunch choice than dinner. I had leftover pita bread and I decided to dip it into the herbed yogurt for a snack. It was delicious.
Keep

1 comment:

  1. These were quite tasty. Anything that remotely resembles a sandwich is fine with me. I was a bit confused though as it was Indian food wrapped like a Gyro but the taste was great. The girls got all excited about the tomato jam and herbed yogurt, but give me meat and some bread and I'm good. Just a simple square head I guess.

    ReplyDelete