Saturday, October 30, 2010

SOURDOUGH BREAD

BASIC SOURDOUGH STARTER: 

1 Package active dry yeast
½ cup warm water (105 o to 115o )
2 cups warm water (105 o to 115o )
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp sugar or honey

In a large mixing bowl dissolve yeast in ½ cup warm water. Stir in 2 cups warm water, flour, and sugar or honey. Beat with electric mixer or by hand with a wooden spoon until smooth.

Cover the bowl with a cotton cloth. Let the mixture stand at room temperature for 5 to 10 days, or until it has a fermented aroma, stirring it 2 to 3 times a day. (The warmer the room, the faster the fermentation.) I placed my started in the cupboard about the stove. After a couple days you will see little bubbles throughout and the starter will have a sour smell. When the starter had developed a bubbly froth, it is done.

For each cup of starter used, replenish remaining starter by adding ¾ cup all purpose flour, ¾ cup of warm water, and 1 teaspoon sugar or honey. Cover and let mixture stand at room temperature for at least 1 day or till it is bubbling. Refrigerate starter for later use.

BREAD:
2 cups basic sourdough starter
3 cups unbleached flour
2 Tablespoon Olive oil
4 teaspoons sugar
1 teaspoon dry active yeast
2 teaspoons salt

To the basic sourdough starter, add the sugar, salt, oil and yeast, mix well. knead in the flour a half cup at a time. Knead in enough flour to make a good, flexible bread dough. You can do this with an electric mixer, or food processor. I prefer to use my hands. Simply push and fold the dough around, over and over 4 to 5 minutes until you have a elastic dough.

Place the dough in a large oiled bowl covered loosely with a towel. I also lightly oil the top of the bread dough before covering. Be sure to put the dough in a warm, draft-free place. I turn my oven on low and then turn it off once the oven is heated. (If you cannot tough the side of your oven with your bare hands, the oven is too hot.) Let the dough rise until doubled in size. Sourdough bread rises more slowly than yeast bread; my bread took five hours to rise. When the dough does not spring back when touched, your dough is ready.
Punch the dough down and knead it about a minute. Make a round loaf by turning the sides into the middle and place it on a baking sheet. I cook my sourdough bread on a silicone baking mate that is placed on the baking sheet. If you do not have a mat, you can grease and sprinkle the baking sheet lightly with cornmeal. Cover with a towel and place the dough in a warm place to rise again, until doubled in bulk.

When the dough has doubled, remove the towel and place the loaf in your oven. Turn your oven to 350 o   Fahrenheit, do not preheat the oven. Bake the bread for 30-45 minutes.  The loaf is done when the crust is brown and the bottom sounds hollow when thumped with a wooden spoon. Place the loaf onto a cooling rack and let cool for 30 minutes before slicing. If you are like me, you will not be able to wait. There is nothing better than hot sourdough bread with butter.

I know this sounds like a lot of work but it is so worth it. Making the starter was the hardest part for me as the first time I went to make it; I put it into the cupboard and forgot about it. Needless to say, the starter did not work. On my second try, I made a point of stirring the starter at least twice a day. The truth is, I had to write myself a note so I would remember. Within five days I had a wonderful smelling starter. When the bread was cooking the smell evoked memories of San Francisco. My first visit to the city was in 1965 as a child with my family. The city had energy I had never experienced before. Young people filled the streets with their hip clothing and long hair. I remember my mom saying, “I can’t tell the boys from the girls with all that hair.” As we moved closer to the Warf I could smell the salt water and sourdough bread. The smell of sourdough bread as it cooks is so distinct. Of course I didn’t know what the smell was at first but after trying the warm bread, I was hooked. In 1965 I left my heart in San Francisco but fortunately for this recipe, I can be reminded of the wonderful memories each time I bake a loaf myself.
Keep

No comments:

Post a Comment