Monday, November 21, 2011

CRANBERRY SAUCE WITH DRIED CHERRIES AND CLOVES


Recipe Courtesy of Bon Appetit, November 1998

Ingredients:
2 1/2 Cups Cherry Cider or Black Cherry Cider or Cranberry Juice Cocktail
1- 8 Ounce package Dried Tart Cherries (about 2 cups)
1- Cup Sugar
1 12- Ounce package Cranberries
1/4 Teaspoon Ground Cloves, I use less

Preparation:
Bring Cider to a simmer in heavy, large saucepan.
Remove from heat.
Add Cherries and let stand 8 minutes.
Mix in sugar, then Cranberries and Cloves.
Cook over medium-high heat until Cranberries burst, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes.
Cool and refrigerate until cold, about 4 hours (sauce will thicken as it cools).
(Can be prepared 4 days ahead. Cover and keep refrigerated).

This recipe is very easy to make and so delicious. The first time I made the Cranberry Sauce I felt it was missing something. I now add a hint of citrus, 1-teaspoon of chopped Orange Rind, be sure to remove all the pith as it is bitter. I also use a little less Clove as Keith doesn't care for the flavor. If you love the flavor of Cloves, be generous. The last change I made was to use 100% Cranberry Juice Concentrate and 1 1/2 cups of sugar instead of the already sweetened juices.

This tart yet sweet Cranberry Sauce is the perfect accompaniment to Ham. It is also excellent as a side with your Turkey dinner; however my favorite way to use it is on a Turkey Sandwich long after the guests are gone. 

I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!

Keep

No comments:

Post a Comment