Friday, May 20, 2011

GRANOLA

I’m trying to get through all my recipes to decide what to keep and what to trash but I love this one so much I have to share it. The original recipe is from Paul Dean but I’ve made so many changes that in my house I’ve renamed it Lulu’s Granola. It is quick and easy and I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

GRANOLA

2- Cups Old Fashion Rolled Oats, (not quick oats)
1- Cup Sweetened, Shredded Coconut
1- Cup Sliced Almonds
1- Cup Chopped Pecans
¼- Cup Vegetable Oil
¼- Cup good quality Honey


Preheat oven to 350 Degrees. Toss the oats, coconut and nuts together in a large bowl. In a small mixing bowl, mix the oil and honey with a whisk or fork. Pour honey mixture over the oat mixture and stir with a wooden spoon until oats and nuts are coated.


Pour mixture onto a cookie sheet coved with parchment paper. The parchment paper will keep the granola from sticking to the pan making cleanup much easier. Spread the granola evenly in the pan.

Bake for 15 minutes, remove and toss gently with a spatula. Bake 15 minutes more and toss again. The last 15 minutes, keep an eye on the granola as you may not like it as brown as I do.

Cool the granola completely before you add it to an air tight container. If you want to add dried fruit, add it when you plan on eating the granola. Do not add it to the air tight container as it adds moisture and takes away the nice crunch. I’m speaking from experience.
This recipe is pretty basic and you can add or delete any item to make it your own. I have tried it with every type of nut and settled on sliced almonds and pecans. You can add cinnamon, dried fruit, or even mini chocolate chips after the oats are baked and cooled to make it a mid-day snack.
My favorite way to eat granola is on top of Greek yogurt with fresh blue berries and raspberries. It’s a healthy snack or a great late night dessert when you want something sweet and crunchy.

No comments:

Post a Comment