Sunday, November 14, 2010

SOURDOUGH WAFFLES


Overnight Sponge:
2 cups Unbleached All- Purpose Flour
2 Tablespoons sugar
2 cups buttermilk
1 cup sourdough starter, straight from the refrigerator. (You can find this starter recipe in my blog archives under Sourdough Bread.

Waffles or pancake batter:
All of the overnight sponge
2 large eggs
¼ cup vegetable oil or melted butter
¾ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda

To make the overnight sponge, stir down your refrigerated starter, and remove 1 cup. In a large mixing bowl, stir together the 1 cup starter, flour, sugar, and buttermilk. Cover and let rest at room temperature overnight.
In a small bowl or mixing cup, beat together the eggs, and oil or butter. Add to the overnight sponge.
Add the salt and baking soda, stirring to combine. The batter will bubble. Pour batter onto your preheated, greased waffle iron, and bake according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
Serve the waffles immediately, to ensure crispness. Or hold in a warm oven till ready to serve.
I am very full as I write this. I love the taste of sourdough and this was the first time I have ever tried sourdough waffles. They were light, fluffy and crisp on the outside. The sourdough flavor combined with the maple syrup was the perfect combination, sweet and sour. I found myself eating more than usual.


If I made them again, I might try a tart lingonberry or raspberry jam instead of maple syrup, to bring out the tartness of the sourdough. This recipe makes a large batch. You can put the batter in the refrigerator for up to two days before it begins to separate.
I enjoyed the sourdough waffles yet; my favorite waffles are still from the Snoqualmie Falls Lodge Pancake & Waffle mix.
Keep

No comments:

Post a Comment