Monday, December 20, 2010

CANDIED LEMON PEEL

CANDIED LEMON PEEL
Ingredients:
6- Large Lemons
2- Cups Sugar
2 -Cups Water
½ -Cup Light Corn Syrup
¼ -Cup Fresh Lemon Juice
½- Teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract

Trim the ends of each lemon with a sharp knife. Cut the lemons lengthwise into quarters. Remove most for the pulp, leaving about 1/8 to ¼ inch of it on each piece of the peel. Cut each strip of peel lengthwise into 3 thin strips.
Fill a large saucepan with cool water, add the peel, and bring to a boil; continue boiling for 5 minutes. Drain the peel in a colander, rinse under cold running water, and blanch the peel again, beginning with fresh cool water. Drain in colander.
Bring the sugar, water, corn syrup, lemon juice, and vanilla to a boil in the same saucepan over high heat, stirring until the sugar has dissolved, Boil the syrup for 2 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium-low, add the drained lemon peel, and simmer briskly, stirring frequently to avoid sticking (especially toward the end), for about 1 hour, or until the peel becomes translucent and the sugar syrup thickens. As the liquid reduces, it will go from a brisk simmer to a boil.
Remove the pan from the heat and cool the peel in the syrup at room temperature, covered. For at least 3 hours, or overnight. Transfer the syrup and the candied peel a jar and refrigerate, tightly covered, for up to 3 months.

I love the flavor of lemon; in pies, cookies, ice cream, and sauces. I made homemade lemonade today and thought since I have all this lemon peel, why not try the candied lemon peel recipe. The lemon peels were the perfect balance of sweet, tart and chewy; if you like lemons you will like these. They are tasty but you can only eat one or two and are best rolled in sugar. I will try using the lemon peel in muffins and if I say fruitcakes, I know many of you will stop reading. The lemon peels may also make a fun garnish for mousse or cakes. The syrup from the lemon peels will be good over pound cake and I may try dipping the lemon peels in chocolate. I don’t think I will make these again as the process was time consuming and now that I have these lemon peels, I’m wondering, how often will I actually use these? If you have a suggestion, please comment on my blog at lorensdish.blogspot.com. I would love to hear your suggestions.
Trash

No comments:

Post a Comment